Before filling out the UGC NET application form, candidates must be aware of the eligibility conditions, which include educational qualifications, age restriction, and age relaxation. Knowing the UGC NET eligibility criteria ahead of time will help you avoid having your candidature revoked.
UGC NET Educational Qualification:
Candidates who have completed a Master’s degree or equivalent in Humanities (including languages), Social Science, Computer Science, and Applications, or Electronic Science from a recognized university are eligible to take the UGC NET exam.
- Candidates from the Non-Creamy Layer of Other Backward Classes (OBC-NC), Scheduled Caste (SC), Scheduled Tribe (ST), Persons with Disabilities (PwD), and Transgender categories, on the other hand, must score at least 50%.
- Candidates pursuing a Master’s degree, who are awaiting results, or whose qualifying examinations have been postponed, are eligible to take the test. However, such individuals will only be considered for a JRF or Assistant Professor post if they complete their Master’s degree with a grade point average of at least 55 percent (50 percent marks for reserved category). They must also complete their Master’s degree within two years of receiving the UGC NET 2021 Result with the required percentage of marks, otherwise, they will be disqualified. Candidates with a Ph.D. degree whose Master’s level examination was completed before September 19, 1991 (irrespective of the date of declaration of result) will be eligible for a relaxation of 5% in aggregate marks for appearing in UGC NET.
- Candidates are encouraged to select the same NET subject for Paper 2 as their postgraduate concentration. If your Post-Graduation subject is not listed among the 81 NET subjects, you might take a comparable subject instead.
- Candidates with a Post-Graduation Diploma/ Certificate from an Indian University/ Institute or a Foreign Degree/ Diploma/ Certificate from a Foreign University/ Institute should contact the Association of Indian Universities (AIU), New Delhi, to determine whether their Diploma/ Degree/ Certificate is equivalent to a Master’s Degree from a recognized Indian university.
UGC NET Age Limit and Relaxation:
These are the following UGC NET 2022 Age Limits and Relaxations criteria for Junior Research Fellowships and Assistant Professorships:
- Junior Research Fellow (JRF):
- Candidates for Junior Research Fellow (JRF) positions must be under the age of 31 on October 1, 2022.
- Candidates in the OBC-NC, SC, ST, PwD, Transgender, and Women categories, as well as Transgenders and Women applications, are given 5-year age relaxation.
- Candidates having research experience will be granted an age reduction equal to the number of years/periods spent conducting research on the relevant topic or completing a Post-Graduation degree.
- Researchers may be granted a 5-year term of relaxation, but only if they provide a certificate from the appropriate authority.
- Three-year age relaxation will be granted to candidates with an L.L.M.
- Candidates who have served in the armed forces will be eligible for 5 years of relaxation, subject to their duration of service in the armed forces as of June 1, 2022.
- On the above grounds, the total age relaxation shall not exceed.
- Assistant Professor: There is no upper age limit for Assistant Professor positions.
In particular, the upper age limit for JRF has been raised to 31 years. Previously, the Reserved category had a 30-year age limit. Practice papers with UGC NET exam preparation app at BYJU’S Exam Prep curated explicitly for all applicants interested to appear at the UGC NET Examination.
Hope you find this article informative.